Sunday, November 6, 2011

New Guides and More


I believe I am still out of cancerstan.  
This Thursday I get another CT Scan of the abdomen. 

However, recent conversations with my guides have brought to light irreconcilable differences (ID). 
Those ID result from my desire to avoid additional major medical interventions.  
As a result of the conversations:
I have decided to replace my urologist;
 and
my Primary Care Physician (PCP) guide has asked me to find a new PCP guide.  
It feels a lot like a divorce. Sad yet necessary.  

Sidebar:
Quote from my PCP's letter of Oct. 31
"The physician/patient relationship is one that depends on mutual trust.  Because that no long exists in our relationship, I think you 'd be better served by finding another physician where you can establish the relationship you deserve..."

I will see the former this Friday and the new PCP Monday Nov. 13. 

Based on their interpretations and advice, Mary Ann and I hope to decide on dates for the European trip. 


Sidebar:
I have three reasons to be skeptical of and likely to reject major medical interventions:
1.     I am old.  I was born in 1934 and one of these days I am going to die…I do not want major medical interventions, 
        which could result in 2 or 3 months of recovery or major side effects effecting quality of life.  Further more, I do not want to be kept alive in order to have a higher probability of dying from Alzheimer’s or a stroke…   
       both of which would result in being dependent and costly.

2.     Taxpayers have already spent over $40,000 on my care.  
       Major operations cost over $15k and chemo costs $2k to $10 per shot. I am not worth another $20k in medical treatment.   I and my fellow “old farts” are hogging Medicare and medicaid funds.     
      Too many children and young adults are unable to obtain the medical care they need partially because of the public policy    of taking care of the elderly first.  In my view at age 77, I am not worth as much as a younger person. 

3.     Major medical interventions often decrease the quality of life…more years of low quality life, makes no sense to me. 



3 comments:

  1. Putting it out there like this is very courageous. The reason people going through medical procedures are called patients is because they are supposed to be patient with what the professionals have to offer. Thank you for sharing this John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, this is inspiring. I couldnt agree with you more that we, the patiet need to be in charge not the care giver. Do you mind if I post the link to your blog on face book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, do provide links to anywhere you desire...I think we laypersons need get the word out that some of us are only interested in maintaining quality of life, not length of life.

    ReplyDelete