Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Musings about the “Knife Man” (August 3, 2011)



Since May 26 or 27 (two or three days after surgery-time and again I have tried to have another chat with the “knife man” and have failed…Early in July, his scheduler informed me that he directed that no one in his office was to talk to me.  I would have to talk with him…and that was good as I had been hoping to meet with him since leaving cancerstan…However he was unavailable the first week in July and on vacation the next two weeks.  The third week, of July I tried again and sent an email with my most important questions.  I was told that he would contact me. 
(Yes, I do have email in this neighboring locale close to cancerstan.)
1. I have decided no Chemo.  Comment?
2. I still have sore testicles and apparent fluid retention in lower abdomen as well as difficulty sitting for any length of time due to a feeling that I am sitting on my guts along with pain between my scrotum and anus. These conditions are worsened by “extreme” activity (walking more than 2.0 miles. Pain is ameliorated with ice & bed rest.  These discomforts, unlike most others, are not getting better.   Diagnosis and his recommendations?
3. Should I be concerned about burning sensation that accompanies my bowel movements?


 No contact has been made…(My guide of 20 years, the guide I first connected with when I moved to Portland, had assured me he would get me in contact with the “knife man”.  So, yet again on August 1 I contacted my guide of twenty years--twice and finally was told I would be able to talk with one of the “knife man’s” colleagues next Monday August 8. 

Side bar…. I’ve been wondering why the “knife man” won’t talk with me…
 I have come up with the following possibilities
1.    He and his office considers me a “troublesome patient” and do not want me ever in their office again.
2.    The “knife man” knows what he does best…using the knife.  He may not have time to talk to patients for several months.
3.    The “knife man” thinks like a good businessman and has figured out how to maximize his revenue while holding down costs.  Perhaps Medicare provides only small and/or fixed reimbursement for after surgery care.
4.    The “knife man” is so good and has been doing these surgeries so long that he knows my kind of questions are not worth his time and his patients all recover just fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment