Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Multiple languages, inadequate translations



During an office visit Monday morning, my PCP of 22 years and I got into a major argument.  I was adamant that I wanted to go to Europe and wanted no major surgery. I wanted his help in getting the urologists agreement along with prescriptions of meds to deal with any complications I might have.   

He did not like it that I was refusing the balloon dilation because of a 10% chance of emergency major surgery. He considered that surgery to be a “relatively simple treatment” consisting of an open abdominal cut and sew to repair internal plumbing, likening it to a leaking water pipe in one room which left unrepaired could make the entire house uninhabitable.
(Sidebar; Two to four days hospital stay and two to three months recovery.)

At one point we got on the subject of patient will vs. doctor decision and we both escalated.  I told him it was my body and I was the one to decide what was to be done.  He reminded me that he was responsible for not permitting me to make foolish decisions cutting my life short. I reminded him I had signed an advanced directive and POLST directing no heroic measures to save me.  Escalating further, I asserted my right to commit suicide…THEN he got emotional and told me that  under his care, he might overrule my advanced directive and further I should remember that suicide was illegal…
After countering, I walked.  He and Mary Ann continued talking. 

Around 4pm, he phoned to say all was arranged regarding an October 3 “simple” replacement of the right ureter stent in day surgery at Emanuel Hospital.

We “kissed and made up”.

1 comment:

  1. That was a very real conversation. When will the youtube be available?

    ReplyDelete